Each location will simulcast the TEDMED 2014 Unlocking Imagination in Service of Health and Medicine conference taking place in Washington, D.C. and San Francisco. In addition, simulcast hosts have assembled live panels focused on TEDMED’s stage content to spark dialogue about health and medical care in our region. Made possible through the financial support of local partners, all programs are free, and the public is invited to participate at each location.
Best known for its annual three-day gathering, TEDMED invites the world’s most creative minds to discuss health care’s most pressing problems and innovative scientific concepts. TEDMED’s content inspires critical new possibilities for the future of health and medicine, presented in a provocative stage program of brilliant short talks and artistic performances.
The TEDMEDLive2014 experiences in Austin include (Click here for the full schedule):
- A discussion on risky behaviors and how Travis County compares with Texas and the nation on binge drinking, alcohol-related traffic fatalities, HIV, and sexually transmitted infection rates.
- A look at innovations that help Austinites become and stay healthier where they live, work, and worship.
- A deep look at “frequent flyers” — patients who return repeatedly to the emergency department — and factors driving emergency department use at one Austin hospital.
- Insight into health care’s adoption of technology solutions from other industries to make our community better, smarter, and healthier.
- Designing with intention to sustain a healthy community.
- Wrangling volumes of data … and how we understand and use data safely.
You can watch TEDMED at three Austin-area locations (Free registration is required, as space is limited):
- TMA Building, Thompson Auditorium, first floor, 401 W. 15th St. (parking available in TMA’s on-site garage);
- Seton-University Medical Center Brackenridge, Clinical Education Center (CEC), Room C1.115, 1400 N. I-35 (parking available in garage near main entrance of CEC); and
- The University of Texas at Austin, TACC Visualization Lab, ACES Building Room 2.404a, 201 E. 24th St.
TEDxAustin, TMA, UT, the Seton Healthcare Family, and the LIVESTRONG Foundation will host the streams and panel discussions featuring a cross-section of minds with views of health and health care — including health care professionals, architects, legal experts, academics, entrepreneurs, technologists, community leaders, and students.